Tuesday 6 January 2009

Notes to Self

I've a couple of photos to upload of a Collared Dove's egg that I found a couple of days ago in the garden. It was broken but still fresh and this alerted me to watch the pair who visit my garden frequently. They are collecting nesting material and are well into their courtship rituals.

The blackbirds are also changing their behaviour. They are playing that game of "chase me" with each other I see every year. The males still chase each other away but I have a definite feeling there is some pairing up going on between the sexes.
♫ I also heard a Blackbird singing the other day too, all by himself in a tree next to a very busy road leading to a huge retail outlet. It's by far the earliest I've heard a Blackbird sing ♫

I feed the birds regularly with wholemeal bread and peanut butter, cut into small squares and an apple quartered. The Blackbirds love the apples and the Sparrows and Robins sit on the fence every morning waiting for me to deliver their food.

They all know Spring is not too far away, they told me so.

No comments: